Monday, December 28, 2009

DIY - Named Cake Tablecloth! Twice Done!



Last weekend after being inspired by a blog called Becoming his Mrs, I decided that if this lady could do it. I could do it too!!



Such a fab inspiration, I highly recommend her blog.


My FH and I are happy with how it turned out, it was a bit of a process as I had to do it twice (reason explained below).

Things you will need;

  1. Table cloth to match your cake table, or suitable one that can be adapted. We picked ours at our local discount store ($10.95 AUD).
  2. Acrylic Paint (Acrylic is not water proof) of your designated colors or what you would like to paint. I picked up 2 tubes of Jo Sonjas's Matt fluid acrylic paint. Burgundy series 1 and Pale gold series 2.
  3. A fine quality paint brush.
  4. Printer that you are able to enlarge your design on. Either in the Program Publisher or word. You can print this out on A4 and have it blown up to A3 size or however big your project.
  5. Plain scrap paper - if you are thinking printed newspaper will do, I would think again as it could leave marks on your tablecloth. Another suggestion is use waxing paper to line the table.

I set our design underneath the table cloth (so you can see your design underneath) with the plain paper as a backing to stop paint from going through to your perfect dining table (I was tempted to trace the outline in light pencil but I didnt have a eraser to undo it).

With a steady hand and nerves of steel on Mum and Dad's dining room table I painted. The whole process was nerve wracking due to being afraid of spilling paint and not being able to wipe it off without leaving a mark! It took me about 1hr to complete the design.




The paint was very quick to dry so after impressing myself with my DIY project (I am not a pro at this DIY thing but I find I'm getting better with each project) I took it home and hung it up on a high table for it to set overnight.

Unfortunately, I own a moggy of a cat called Raz who decided while we were sleeping to use the rest of the tablecloth which she had pulled conveniently on to the ground and used it as a resting spot.

We woke up in the morning to find stains on the table cloth and one very guilty looking cat!





I was very emotional and it took me about a week to warm up to the cat again. Needless to say I had to chuck the table cloth out because you can't wash it and had to go buy another and redo the whole process again!

The new table cloth with its fresh painted design is now locked away from the putty cat, so its paws may never touch it again!!

Coastal City Bride - Charis xx

No comments:

Post a Comment